Easy Way to Make Sponge Water Bombs
While water balloons might be a fun summer activity, they’re incredibly wasteful and bad for the environment. If you’re looking for an eco-friendly summer activity your kids will enjoy, learn how to make sponge water bombs.
But are you familiar with balloon pollution? Even though latex balloons are considered biodegradable, they can take up to four years to decompose. In the meantime, the wreak havoc on the environment.
When balloons make their way into the water, sea turtles, dolphins, and fish mistake them for food and try to eat them. The balloons can then get lodged in the digestive track and cause the animals to starve to death.
Aquatic animals aren’t the only ones to die from balloons. When pieces of balloon end up on land, birds and other animals can also mistake them food.
Also, it’s not just the environmental impact of balloon pollution that should concern you. Water balloons are also wasteful.
Related: How to Have a Zero Waste Summer BBQ
Sure, it’s a lot of fun having a water balloon fight on a hot summer day. But then you have to spend the rest of the afternoon picking up all those little pieces of broken balloons. Plus, if you want to have another water balloon fight, you have spend more money to buy new balloons and waste more time filling them back up.
What if there was a more sustainable option that was just as fun as water balloons? There is! Sponge water bombs.
How to Make Sponge Water Bombs
Sponge water bombs are an excellent alternative to wasteful water balloons. The sponges are durable, so they’ll stand up to years and years of water battles. Yet they’re also soft, so you don’t have to worry about any accidental injuries.
Even better, they use less water than water balloons and there are no balloon pieces to clean up when the fun is over. Here are the simple steps you can follow to make your own sponge water bombs.
- Cut each sponge into three equal strips. Each strip will be about an inch wide.
- Stack a total of nine strips three strips high by three strips long. You can either make the sponge water bombs all the same color or mix the strips for different colors.
- Wrap the twine around the middle of the sponge strips and tie tightly. Tie a double knot or triple knot for extra security.
- Trim away the excess twine.
- Pull the sponge strips out so they form a ball and get ready for epic sponge water bomb battles.
Summer Fun With Sponge Water Bombs
Summertime is the season to get outside and have some fun. But you still want to protect the planet and enjoy a zero waste summer. Fortunately, you can have plenty of summer excitement without all that waste when you swap out water balloons for these fun and reusable sponge water bombs.
More Eco-Friendly Living Tips
Now that you see how easy it is to make sponge water bombs, are you interested in even more great eco-friendly living tips? Then be sure to check out some of our other popular posts:
- Best Plants for a Children’s Garden
- Top Children’s Books About Sustainability
- How to Make Homemade Natural Face Paint
- Best Eco-Friendly School Supplies