How to Make Homemade Tile Floor Cleaner
You don’t have to turn to expensive and potentially toxic products to get your tile floors clean. Instead, you only need to learn how to make this homemade tile floor cleaner that requires just a few simple ingredients.
The Problem With Store-Bought Tile Cleaner
While tile floors are pretty easy to maintain, like every floor in your house, they do need cleaned. While you might be tempted to reach for a store-bought cleaner, you could be doing your family and the environment harm when you do.
For example, consider your average bottle of Pine-Sol all-purpose cleaner. It smells like a forest and has pictures of trees on it, so it can’t be that bad, right?
Unfortunately, the Environmental Working Group gives Pine-Sol a “D” grade. These are just some of the concerning ingredients found in a bottle of Pine-Sol:
- Cleaning agents: High aquatic toxicity.
- Ethoxylated undecyl alcohol: Some concern for cancer, skin irritation, respiratory and digestive system effects, and aquatic toxicity.
- Formaldehyde: Some concern for cancer, respiratory and general organ effects, and skin irritation.
- Benzoic acid: Some concern for respiratory and nervous system effects, developmental and reproductive effects, and damage to vision.
And these are just the ingredients we know about. The bottle also lists “fragrances” as an ingredient.
The problem with “fragrances” is that companies say they’re proprietary secrets. This means they don’t have to tell us what these “fragrances” actually are or what type of damage they can do to us and the environment.
Slapping the word “fragrance” on the bottle could hide thousands of other ingredients.
Homemade Tile Floor Cleaner Without Vinegar
At this point, it’s easy to see why you want to make a homemade tile floor cleaner.
You’ll notice that this DIY tile floor cleaner doesn’t contain vinegar. That’s because unsealed tile is one of the many items around your house you should never clean with vinegar.
While vinegar makes a great natural cleaner and can clean a lot of surprising things around the house, it’s too strong and acidic for unsealed tile. In fact, it can actually pit, etch, and damage tile.
- 6 teaspoons of baking soda
- 1 cup of water
- 3 teaspoons of liquid castile soap
- 16-ounce glass spray bottle
- Put the baking soda in the spray bottle.
- Add the water and liquid castile soap.
- Swirl the bottle gently to combine all of the ingredients.
- Spray the solution on your tile floor, and let it sit for a few minutes.
- Use an organic unbleached cotton unpaper towel to wipe up the solution.
A Few Notes About Homemade Tile Floor Cleaner
I use unscented castile soap when I make my tile floor cleaner. However, if you want to have a light fragrance when you’re cleaning, you can use one of the scented varieties.
Some good options for cleaning include:
- Lavender liquid castile soap
- Almond liquid castile soap
- Rose liquid castile soap
- Peppermint castile soap
That being said, I would avoid any citrus scented castile soaps since lemon can also damage stone.
When I use my tile floor cleaner, I simply put the cotton unpaper towel on the head of a Swiffer mop to clean up the solution. Repurposing an old Swiffer mop is an excellent and easy way to make your cleaning routine more eco-friendly.
Are you wondering why I only recommend using cotton unpaper towels for cleaning? See why cotton unpaper towels are more eco-friendly than microfiber cleaning cloths.
Like any other homemade cleaner, I recommend you test this DIY tile floor cleaner in an inconspicuous spot before using it on your entire floor.
Don’t forget about getting all of the other floors in your home clean. If you have carpets or rugs, this homemade carpet cleaner is outstanding. You can also use this homemade laminate floor cleaner or this homemade hardwood floor cleaner for your wood floors.
Making DIY Tile Floor Cleaner
You don’t have to worry about exposing your family and the environment to dangerous and potentially toxic chemicals when you make this homemade tile floor cleaner.
More Eco-Friendly Cleaning Tips
Now that you see how easy it is to make homemade tile floor cleaner, are you interested in even more excellent tips for natural cleaning? Then be sure to check out some of our other popular posts:
- Homemade All-Purpose Cleaner Without Vinegar
- Homemade Natural Febreze
- How to Use Soap Nuts
- Easy Homemade Dusting Spray
- Reusable Disinfecting Wipes