The Easy Way to Make Homemade Toilet Refreshing Tablets
Sometimes your toilet needs a good scrubbing, which is when these homemade toilet cleaning tablets step up to take care of the job. But other times your toilet just needs to deodorize. That’s when these homemade toilet refreshing tablets come in handy.
Discover how to make these simple and natural DIY toilet refreshing tablets so your toilet can stay clean and fresh in between those deep cleans.
Are Toilet Deodorizers Toxic?
You might not think twice about the products you use to keep your toilets fresh, but they can actually contain some incredibly toxic chemicals. As an example, take a look at the Scrubbing Bubbles Toilet Cleaning Gel.
You might think this product is pretty harmless. After all, you just stick the gel on the side of the toilet and let it do its thing. However, this product receives a “D” grade from the Environmental Working Group (EWG).
That’s because the product contains ingredients that have some concern for asthma and respiratory problems, skin allergies and irritation, cancer, and developmental and reproductive toxicity.
These are just some of the ingredients that can harm your health:
- Polymers: Concerns about developmental and reproductive effects, damage to DNA, damage to vision, cancer, respiratory effects, nervous system effects, and general damage to organs.
- Beheneth-30: Concerns about cancer, respiratory effects, digestive system effects, skin irritation, and damage to vision.
- Sodium Laureth Sulfate: Concerns about aquatic toxicity, cancer, damage to vision, skin irritation, digestive system effects, and respiratory effects.
- Fragrance: A non-specific ingredient that can hide thousands of other ingredients. Concerns about skin irritation, aquatic toxicity, respiratory effects, cancer, and more.
And these are just some of the ingredients in the cleaning gel. Fortunately, you don’t have to deal with these toxic ingredients to deodorize your toilet. Instead, you just need to make these natural homemade toilet refreshing tablets.
How to Make Homemade Toilet Refreshing Tablets
When you’re ready to make your own DIY toilet refreshing tablets, simply gather the following ingredients and tools.
- Medium bowl
- Mixing spoon
- Small spray bottle
- Compostable parchment paper
- Air-tight storage container
- Combine 1 cup of baking soda with a 1/2-cup of citric acid in a medium bowl.
- Use the mixing spoon to stir the two ingredients together.
- Add 30 to 40 drops of your favorite essential oils into a small spray bottle and spritz the oils over the baking soda and citric acid mixture. Make sure you don’t oversaturate one area with the oils so you get an even amount of scent in the finished product.
- Use the mixing spoon to stir the mixture again.
- Your mixture should be just slightly wet enough that it will hold its shape when packed into a ball. If it’s too dry, spritz a small amount of water over it until it reaches the right consistency.
- Measure out tablespoon-sized tablets and place them on the compostable parchment paper. (Don’t forget to compost the parchment paper when you’re done!)
- Let the tablets dry overnight.
- Once the tablets have dried, store them in an air-tight storage container.
- Whenever you feel like your toilet needs a little freshening up, simply drop one of these tablets in it and give your toilet a quick scrub.
Using Essential Oils for Cleaning
When you’re picking out which essential oils to use in these DIY toilet refreshing tablets, look for ones that have antimicrobial or antibacterial properties to give the tablets some extra cleaning power.
Here are a few of my favorite blends:
Fresh and Clean
More Ways to Make an Eco-Friendly Bathroom
Are you trying to make your entire bathroom more eco-friendly? It’s a lot easier than you think! You can start by using some of these simple swaps to make a zero waste bathroom.
For a natural and zero waste oral care routine, check out these best eco-friendly dental floss options, discover which bamboo toothbrush is right for you, and learn more about the best zero waste toothpaste.
Have you thought about switching to a shampoo bar but don’t know which one is right for your hair? This guide on the best shampoo bar for every hair type can help!
You can also make the switch to a natural deodorant when you check out these best natural deodorants. Don’t worry, I promise you won’t smell. The natural deodorants on that list are designed for people who sweat!
You’ll love how much money you can save when you use a safety razor instead of disposable plastic razors for shaving. For an incredibly smooth shave, don’t forget to check out this DIY shaving gel and this homemade coffee scrub that can help reduce the appearance of cellulite.
Plus, your homemade toilet refreshing tablets are the only way you can get your bathroom naturally clean.
This DIY tub and shower cleaner works wonders on soap scum. You’ll be shocked at how well this homemade grout cleaner makes those grout lines sparkle. You can also use one of these best natural mold cleaners to banish stubborn mold in the bathroom.
Finally, don’t forget about making the switch to the best eco-friendly toilet paper!
DIY Toilet Refreshing Tablets
You don’t have to turn to toxic chemicals to keep your toilet smelling fresh between cleanings. Instead, all you have to do is make these simple homemade toilet refreshing tablets.
More Eco-Friendly Cleaning Products
Now that you see how easy it is to make homemade toilet refreshing tablets, are you interested in even more outstanding DIY cleaning products? Then check out some of our other popular posts: